I Pity the Fool

I have been struggling with calling those in Camping's Camp May 21 Fiascolypse "Dumbasses" in a Facebook post. Some affirm that it was apropos, some think it went too far. The debates rages.

A friend said it reminded him of Jesus's warning not to call anyone "Raca" without cause. I suppose I could debate that as Camping's campaign was both dumb and asinine, I just combined the words and applied accurately it to them. The word Raca in Greek is Moros, where we get the term moron. It is a term of "utter vilification" according to Strong's Lexicon.

Interestingly, the Apostle Paul in Galatians 3:1 calls the Galatians foolish. Although not as harsh as the Greek word Moros, in the Greek it is hardly a compliment. It means unwise and unintelligent. The Galatians going back to the Preschool ways of the Law rather than the Graduate School of Grace made them worth of Paul's stinging rebuke. Dunces. And it was harsh. Paul typically and probably thought truth-telling to be an act of grace itself. I suppose it comes down to heart intent too when we call someone something less than laudable.

I wonder if Mr. T had love in his heart when he said, "I pity the fool." Pity seems to be correct posture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream