Just Walk Away

I was in a situation the other day which could have gotten nasty. I am not at liberty to divulge the details. Yet, I faced a choice of either escalating the conflict or draining the conflict. I chose to drain the conflict. Like a swamp.

I gently walked away, excused myself, closed the door, and resumed addressing the problem a day later.

I can't say that I always walk away. There is a time to fight and I am not afraid to...but there are some conflicts that can't be resolved at the time. There are also times I feed a conflict better left to starve.

I know that the Scripture teaches that we should not let the sun go down on our anger. Yet, I don't think that means that we always have to hash things out before the sun falls beneath the horizon. In fact, I think we can actually create more of a problem by trying to address issues when we are: Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. That is called HALT. As in stop.

The more of these one has at a given moment, the wiser it is to wait.

The Bible maxim, I believe, should be taken in the spirit it was written rather than a literally interpretation always. I sense Paul's admonition means that we should not nurse our anger because the one giving us the bottle is the Devil himself. Instead, our goal should be to have a spirit of reconciliation as we contemplate our attitudes and actions in light of an ensuing conflict. Letting cooler heads prevail as it is said. Wait and chill. Just walk away.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream