And They Shall Become One Calendar

The last couple of times I tried to save my Calendar on my iPhone, the syncing did not work to Microsoft Outlook on the Lap Top. I started to get queasy.

The idea of all of my data disappearing in a wisp of an electronic pulse scares the crap out of me. I know that Apple and Microsoft are at best Cold War-like collaborators/combatants (I will let you decide who is the American and who is the Russian Commie Pinkos), so the software and hardware do not always play nice. The last time I lost all my data, Microsoft blamed Apple, Apple blamed Microsoft, and so it went. Like two children on a playground with me trying to figure out who pushed who first.

So, I decided to not investigate the non-syncing, and just throw my data saving lot in with Mobile Me, Apple's version of the cloud. It updates data wirelessley. One feature that I did not realize at first is that it permits my Apple-loving wife to share her calendar with me and vise-versa. We also have a shared calendar. All three sets are their own colors on the displaying device. It is pretty cool but also kind of hard to get used to. Lina gets all of my alarms...a function that I use chronically to keep myself on track. The Apple people don't know why this is happening because she should be able to turn that feature off but can't for some reason. She is taking it in stride.

Yesterday, we went to a dinner at a house where Lina put down 5:15 in her color of orange. I was a late addition to the function the night before. I thought that meant the dinner and drinks started at 5:15. Lina had told me the night before the times but I had not made note of it and promptly forgot. No, 5:15 was travel time inclusive from her leaving Hershey. I called to check but Lina had her phone off making a presentation.

If I had entered the party, I would have put the time that the event started and then checked off for the alarm to go off 30 minutes ahead of time for me to get my act together. My wife reminded me that she had told me of the time (me guilty), that the event was in orange (guilty again, judge). I responded that I had called about two hours prior to double-check (a lame defense but the best I could come up with) and that perhaps she should have put the event in light blue now that we both were going. I also questioned the protocol of putting in travel time. Basically, we have two different techniques to accomplish the same thing.

Long and short of it, I showed up an hour early for the event, left, and then walked two miles around a lake in the local area. I was a little frustrated...at myself. Then, I almost wiped out on a muddy hill and kept my balance barely. That would have been a mess.

Marriage is an interesting reality of two individual people who are a "We." All three aspects have to be considered, without the we wiping out the me or the me obliterating the we. I guess what we need is a Mobile MeWe.

Comments

VanTil said…
Get a Droid.
Eric Bierker said…
:0)I have been impressed that Google has been able to pull the Droid off. The iPhone and iTunes are still better in my estimation but Apple has a serious competitor to its throne

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream