Curry Favor

Yesterday, I was getting ready to break for lunch. I saw that a teacher (I work as a high school counselor) had sent me an email letting me know one of my students was somewhere else besides her class. No, he was there, but he wasn't.

So, I asked her to send him down. No use in keeping him class. I have a long history with the kid. I really like him...he's bright, funny, sensitive, and does very little school work. For three solid years. I try to care about my students regardless of whether they get good grades or not. I think that is what Jesus would do.

As a school counselor, I strive to create a space of compassion in the hard four walls. It does not mean that I don't challenge kids like him to do their work. I do...but it is because I want him to have choices and opportunities and not to be consigned to dumb jobs for the rest of his life. Not graduating from high school is a curse that few are able to transcend.

When he came down, he was sad. He had much to be legitimately depressed about. He had an older brother killed in the Iraq War....the pride and joy of his family. I would like to say that is the only tragedy that the deck of life has dealt him but there is more misery in his hand. Until recently, he has played the clown. Now he is withdrawn or angry...the clown is gone.

I asked him if he wanted some of my lunch since he had not eaten. My wife had made a beef curry the night before. We got in a cool discussion about food. Over the curry, he told me more about his life than I had ever heard before. We are doing a poll at the end of the week charting to see if that is his # 1 experience of the week. Although it is still mid-week, he told me it is still on top. Although he was sick from school today, so maybe that made yesterday's lunch more favorable in comparison.

It is rather amazing that when people open their mouths to eat good food often they open their hearts too. Makes me think that if we want to share the Good News with someone, how better to do it than over a plate of good food.

Comments

M.joshua said…
Food is one of the best places for the communication of the Gospel to happen for sure! Great post!

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream