Yesterdays' Newspaper

Snapped this picture in downtown Chicago on the iPhone last week. Thought it was an interesting irony. The shadow overtaking the Trib building, photo captured by the technology that is eclipsing it.

I am not a traditionalist in the sense that I am wedded to paper. I say go digital for newspapers. The news tends to not be something worth rereading. Save the trees. I am sentimental for printed hardcover books but that is what it is....sentimentality.

It makes little sense to collect hard cover books. They take up storage space, are hard to move, and decay over time. I recently downloaded 25 classic books to my Kindle Fire. That would be 25 more books that would crowd an already stocked shelves in the house or the approximate 1 ton of books in the basement. At least it felt that heavy in total when I moved them from the townhouse. The Kindle got no bigger and weighs no more. It just is a matter of time that the printed book goes the way of the horse and the buggy. So be it.

I am, however, passionate for Words. I fear this generation of young people are not developing their imaginations through independent reading. The entertainment generation has it all brought to them, where their minds are more recipients of images rather than cultivators of thought. That very much concerns me. A vending machine versus a garden. Our souls feed off words, which only stands to reason as the universe was created through the Word of God. Even the term uni-verse conveys this deep meaning.

Jesus promises that His Word will not pass away. Good to know this, even if it is digital.

Mark 13:31

Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream