Starbucks So-So

It could have been a whole lot worse. A flight cancelled out of Chicago last week. A 24 hour layover. I had a Comp Day at work. A trade for a night and day in Chicago...I will take that deal Monte Hall!

We took a trot to Intelligentsia Coffee. I approached the counter in trepidation and confessed to the staff, as if they were priests, that I was a complete novice and had never entered these hallowed grounds before.

It was a good thing I got that confession out pronto because it spared me the embarrassment of approaching the dude at the cash register rather than the barista. So, 7-11ish I am sure that they thought. Sorry no Slurpees, you yahoo.

Several of the baristas at Intelligentsia are world champions. "I am not worthy, have mercy on me, a dude from Central Pa." Starbucks trash...

I used to get a thrill going to Starbucks with its Italian terms for coffee sizes (does anyone else freeze sometime trying to recall the sizes???...I just start throwing out Italian like Mama-Mia and hope something sticks), the cool music in the background, and the strong cafe that could wake the dead. But, now that I have been to Intelligentsia, Starbucks seems so passe. I mean at Intelligentsia each cup is crafted and tailored like a fine suit by quirky attired hipsters hovering over the brewing cups like sorcerers. Liquid revelation...

Once we get used to the novel it becomes the usual and it is not too long before we become priggish. How gauche, Starbucks...I drink Intelligentsia. Only Jesus, the infinite God, continues to satisfy...only He can fill our cups of want.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream