OK To Be Uncertain

Been considering recently that an aspect of humility is the willingness to admit that we don't have a lot of answers to perplexing and difficult issues. I had a button in my early 20's attached to my jacket that read, "Onward through the fog." I should still be wearing it if I knew where it was...

It is a type of intellectual humility to bow down before the unknown and confess that we have many more questions than answers. Three children from one family killed in a car wreck recently in our area. What can be known why a tragedy strikes like this--but spares the rest of us to live another day.

We all see through a glass darkly as Paul writes. A man like Paul, who was the recipient of divine revelation, admitting his own ignorance, is refreshing. There are doctrines we must be sure of, yet much certainty in things not able to really be known is foolhardy and even dangerous. I like to have answers but am learning (even at 48 years of age) that I have much to learn and it is wise to admit it.

Better to be OK with saying, I don't know. I may never know. And that is honest. And OK.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream