Fathers Arms

Last night I had the distinct privilege and honor of attending the Daniel Amos concert in Central Pennsylvania. Who knows that last time these California boys came through these parts as a group....maybe how about never.

Just because DA (as they are know as by insiders) has not been geographically nearby, hardly means that this band has not been one of the most influential musical entities of record for many in the evangelical terrain. As a band, they have composed over 400 songs.

Their albums were the soundtrack of our college lives. Hip, clever, sarcastic, talented, intellectual, and culturally savvy, DA was the antidote to goofy and garish Christian Contemporary Music in the 1980's and 1990's and beyond (those Oldies but Goody-Goodys).
And, they are still creating and rocking, not just doing repeats and retreads in concert.

Hung out with Steve and Brian, two brothers I went to college with at the show. We, now as middle-aged men much further down the twists and turns of life, and with Daniel Amos older even yet, the tenor of the show had a seriousness to it derived from life lived and life lost. Collectively peering ahead and recognizing that we have less earthly life ahead of us than what we have left behind.

The older I get, the more I have to admit that I am not sure about many things. For all of my theological knowledge and life experiences, it still comes down to faith that God is at work in me and in the world for His good purposes. And, trying to figure out how I further the will of the Father.

Terry Taylor said something simple yet profound last night. He says that he often just prays "Lord help me." Kind of how a scared child calls for his Daddy and runs into His arms. Here is Fathers Arms from DA's legendary album Shotgun Angel.

Lord help me...


Comments

Anonymous said…
When was the last time they were in/through Central PA? I'm fuzzy on the year but I'm guessing it was late 1991? Ok, it was York, not Central PA, but I remember it was at a high school. The Youth Choir (now The Choir) with Derri Daugherty and Steve Hindalong opened the show. They sang a CCR tune (Bad Moon Rising?). Gene Eugene was there playing keyboard for DA. I had never heard of The Lost Dogs at this point.
Anonymous said…
Ok, my memory is horrible. DA was in York, PA on November 22, 1986.
Eric Bierker said…
That must have been a cool show to see...hard to believe it has been that many years I am sure.

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream