Existential Appetite

I'm pulling away from the recent posts on family...obviously still some pain back there. Onto a more appetizing subject....food!

I have dropped about 20 pounds in the last three weeks. Before beginning the weight loss, I had been praying that God would teach me the value of "enough" with eating and drinking. I tend to ricochet between feast and famine and want to find the balance of enjoyment versus over-consumption and deprivation.

All that happens when I cut back is that I then swerve to into excess. Kind of like over-steering when driving to avoid hitting a squirrel only to to smash into a mailbox.

In reflecting on my eating patterns, I often find that it is boredom that is the cause of excessive eating. I strategically identified work as a good place to cut back on eating (that would be lunch). Since I always have enough work on my plate so to speak, it is easy for me to eat a quick and healthy meal and get back into the work mojo. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about more food.

Meaning has a way of filling us up with purpose. And when we are full with purpose, perhaps we are less inclined to fill ourselves up in other ways? Just throwing that into the pan to think about.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream