Talking About My Grill, My Grill

OK, so the other night I have 8 COSTCO hamburgers to barbecue. For those who buy these, you know--when frozen--could double as hockey pucks. They are twice as thick as other patties. Same deal with the steaks. Just like how everything is bigger at COSTCO.

I inherited, like with a step-child, my wife's Weber gas grill when we married. For the life of me, I can't seem to figure out how to get it to work properly. I used to have no issue...now the safety mechanism keeps the gas from flowing. It is safe alright...it doesn't work. Safe as a pile of dirt. Could have been worse. It could have had to adopt a yappy dog named Oodles or something equally detestable.

With the grill, my wife seemingly has no problema. She turns a dial here, a dial there, utters a few chants, and the grill purrs like a kitten. Yet, even she swears that her grill has never been the same since my Dad laid paws on it. Seemingly, her female intuition gives her insight that I lack. I turn the gas on, push the igniter, and expect the thing to work. But, noooo. I feel like Charlie Brown trying to fly a kite with this stupid grill. I thought the point of the gas grill is that it is idiot-proof. Well, not for this idiot. Voodoo Grill.

So, I went back to the old-fashioned way. Charcoal and a generous amount of lighter fluid. Now, this was truly idiot proof. Forty minutes later, I had 8 finely bbq'd burgers. I really enjoyed the process of the cooking with all of the smoking wafting upwards. For the record, the Amish version is also a Weber. The analogue.

In John 21, Jesus has a fish barbecue for the boys on the shore of Galilee after he has been raised from the dead. I have to think that there has to be something deeper going on than just breakfast of fish and bread. The cooking of the fish seems to suggest a maturing of Peter and the Disciples after the recent events of bailing on Jesus when things got bad. They had been cooked on the coals of adversity. And here was Jesus, showing them--with their catch of 153 fish and all--that their mission could not and would not fail.

Just as I don't understand my wife's barbecue, I don't really get the mathematical symbolism of 153, but here is as explanation that seems to provide some insight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream