Finney: When It Is Not Fun.

"How often is it the case that individuals do not know whether they are self-willed; so long as the providence of God seem to pet them they are very pious, and can talk about submission with the greatest apparent sincerity; but let God just drive across their path: lay his hand upon them: blow their schemes to the winds of heaven: and see whether they will talk of submission then; see whether they are self-willed, or whether as little children they will instantly submit." Charles Finney

I am quite aware that Charles Finney is not very beloved in Reformed circles. Revivalism, the Anxious Bench, morbid self-introspection, Christian Perfectionism, an emphasis on the will of man instead of God, are just a few in the litany of charges against C.F. Here is a critique from a contemporary.

Yet, as a member of the Presbyterian Church in America, I think it wise to listen to those within Christendom who we do not agree with as God may be trying to teach us something that we need to hear and will not hear otherwise. I know some will debate vociferously that Finney was not within Christendom. I think that an over-reaction. This quote above rings true at least.

I have been reading a book as a devotional for about the last half year called Take Heart: Daily Devotionals with the Church's Great Preachers which was compiled and edited by Diana Wallis. It is divided into the four seasons with 91 - 93 entries for a total of 365 days. When a devotional spans the theological spectrum from Augustine to Finney, one knows he has an odd tome in his hands. I purchased it several years ago at the most excellent Midtown Scholar in Harrisburg, about the best thing going in that hurting town.

Today I read this opening quote in the devotional, and it very much convicted me. Heck, it sounds Presbyterian. Finney may have been a quack but in this quote he speaks the truth. What better test of our faith when our dreams are destroyed and our hopes are ground to powder. Can we say then, "I have faith that God is working in this, and in all things, for my good and His glory?"

Comments

M.joshua said…
I didn't know who Finney was until I was reading a book trying to pin down the problem with churches in the US. He was the big historical scapegoat.
Unknown said…
word- keep em coming
Unknown said…
Dallas Willard, whom i deeply admire and respect, points to his lectures on the Love of God as very vital---when Dallas speaks, I listen.

RC--sometimes?

but Dallas or Richard Foster? always!
Eric Bierker said…
M.joshua...yes, I think you are right. Doug, I am a big fan of Willard, too.

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream