Earthquake, Tsunami, and Your Forecast

I had an unusual urge to check Twitter on Friday morning around 5:50 am during my devotional and prayer time. Really, I am not sure why. Usually, when I do stuff like this I am practicing spiritual evasion. I would rather be entertained than admonished. But, this seemed like a different motivation in my spirit. So, I went along and did not rebuke it.

When I got onto Twitter, I saw a comment about the earthquake in Japan and the resultant tsunami. So, I went to TweetDeck's Twitter trending and saw a lot of comments about the disaster. So, I turned on the TV and all the Lancaster, Philadelphia, and Baltimore stations, were in their Morning News mode and every one of them had the weather forecast segment on at the time I blew through the channels.

I remember being struck by the almost nonchalance of the weathermen about the day's forecast. Meanwhile, the Japanese nation was in seismic upheaval and hundreds of people were dead or dying. In the meantime, make sure to wear a jacket outside this morning, because it is a tad chilly.


Comments

M.joshua said…
I don't know exactly how to respond other than with prayer at the moment.

How about you? How are you treating them as a neighbor?
Eric Bierker said…
I am thinking that my wife and I will be supporting a church plant of the PCA in downtown Tokyo.

http://www.mtwjapan.com/resources.php


When disaster strikes, it is critical to provide immediate support. But, that immediate and material support should support the proclamation of the Gospel. That is what Jesus did. So, should we.

The biggest disaster are people being swept into eternity without knowing who Jesus is. Japan is one of the most unchurched countries in the world.

Thanks for asking.

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream