Dogman

I just did a search of the word dogs and dog in the Bible. There are 40 places in the Bible where dogs are mentioned. Like goats and pigs, dogs have a bad rep in the Word. Returning to its vomit, licking sores, eating rotting flesh. Makes me think twice about having a dog lick my face.

The most affirming verse, and it ain't much, is Mark 7:28 "But she answered and saith unto him, Yea, Lord; even the dogs under the table eat of the children's crumbs." At best dogs are vacuum cleaners with fur. Canines need some serious P.R. (and) to make less revolting food choices.

I don't have a dog but do love lavishing attention on dogs in our 'hood who are out on walks with their owners. It is a real win-win. I pet them, they get some love. And, we go our separate ways. Nothing to pick-up. It is a special treat when I encounter a Beagle, because that is the breed of dog I had when I was a kid. Would I want a Beagle now? Heck no, I would rather have shingles. Beagles are the ADD breed.

I look at dogs in contemporary life, and most of them bring a lot of joy and happiness into people's lives....hardly demonic and devilish.So, I am having a hard time reconciling the biblical view of dogs with the plain positive presence of dogs in our present world. Sometimes we just have to keep things in tension like Predestination and Free-Will. Nonetheless, I am a Dogman. A special treat, listen to this head-banging, ear-flappping, and tale-wagging song by the power trio rock band King's X.

Psalm 22:20 Deliver my soul from the sword, My darling from the power of the dog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream