Stromboli Love

So, it is my brother Steve's 44th birthday today. Thus, I sent him an email this morning wishing him a "Happy Birthday" and I queried as to whether he was going to have a birthday Stromboli with candles rather than cake.

For you see, Steve is the Charlie Sheen of Stromboli-eating. My Pop had packed twenty flat football-sized Strombolis in an iced cooler from Berwyn Pizza--our hometown--to take out to Pittsburgh (via a layover in Lancaster for a night) during Thanksgiving.

My brother emailed back that he had eaten all of the Strombolis by January, averaging roughly a half per day. What can I say, I am impressed by the ravenous consumption. Steve swears that no joint in Pittsburgh makes a decent Stromboli. Apparently, he gave one of his stash to a co-worker who still has it...hoping to extract a Free Agent price for the last remaining of the litter.

I followed up my email to Steve with a phone call to him about 30 minutes ago, where we talked about his Stromboli Love. After the phone call, I had a hankering for one of these greasy good messes, but had resigned myself to eating a couple of hot dogs. Maybe I was figuring a different type of grease would suffice.

But, Ho! What did I find in the freezer while rummaging around for some dogs? An aluminum-foil wrapped object that looked suspiciously like a half a Stromboli! I tore the foil off and behold, half of a Stromboli yes Siree! This had to be Lina's doing...I am not one to squirrel away such a treat. I can't even remember the last time we ordered a Stromboli...it might have been October 2010 for my birthday. But, I am thinking it is even longer ago. A couple of years perhaps? Had to be from the Sugar Bowl in Millersville. A college favorite.

By the freezer burn on the edges, this bad boy clearly had been waiting for a while. Reminded me of the Israelites when they saved the Manna for the day after and it got all maggoty. I found the beer to act as a neutralizing agent to the freezer taste while letting the essence of the Stromboli to come through unabated. A "B" of a Stromboli that could've, should've, been an "A."

Steve's co-worker might want to sell soon.


Comments

Susan said…
Ah, stromboli...haven't had that in years, and now I'll be hungering for it all day. But I thought your background was German, not Italian. ;)
Anonymous said…
It is a much deeper love than anyone can explain:) Dawn
Lina Bierker said…
Ha! Truly, I squirrel things away and promptly forget about them...

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream