R.E.M. "Collapse into Now" Release

Wow, N.P.R. just posted on Facebook the new release from R.E.M. Collapse Into Now. Wow, wow, wow. Wow.

I first saw R.E.M. live back at Franklin Field in Philly back in the early 1980's at one of those concerts that had a series of bands playing. R.E.M. had just released Murmur if my memory serves me correctly. These days my memory serves me haphazardly like a daffy waitress that brings me liver and onions when I ordered a B.L.T.

R.E.M. is one of my favorite bands of all time. Melodic hooks, jangly guitars, obscure and illuminating lyrics. Really, an American original in an era of knock-offs. For some reason, for example, Orange Crush moves me...but why in the hell why? What is it about? I have no clue. Man in the Moon is about the comedian Andy Kaufman...a really odd dude who got body slammed by a professional wrestler on David Letterman. When this brawl went down, I didn't know if it was absurd and intentional comedy or a real fight. One was never sure with professional wrestling and/or Andy Kaufman. Kaufman sure did seem p*ssed off...but was it part of the shtick? What is it about Yiddish that captures the essence of things?

As a Conservative, I have my issues with the Liberal slant of N.P.R. I think it best to sever the Federal funding cord. We have to get Leviathan back to size. In an era of monetary contraction, there are more important priorities. Same with Planned Parenthood. If the Libs want to fund abortion, do it with your own donated dollars. While I would rather be shot than give one bloody dime to Planned Parenthood, I do think this R.E.M. posting might just motivate me to donate again to N.P.R. I just fear the incessant phone calls, emails, and letters, that follow asking for more (I have given before, and almost felt like I had to change my identity, phone number, email, and address to escape its pleas for more money). Seriously, I got about ten phone calls in the span of one week. I felt like filing a P.F.A.

Depending on the government for sustenance will do that to you. If N.P.R cannot survive without public monies, it should not exist. And, that reality forces people like me to either step up or shut up. And, that is the way it should be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream