Kierkergaard Walking

Just got finished with a lovely walk in the later evening. The air was wet with past rain, the sky clearing, and the stars making making themselves known. When I came home today, I was very tired. It wasn't that the day was unusually busy or stressful, it actually was very calm. Sometimes I just feel out of sorts and today was one of those days.

So, I napped from 5-9. Napping is like a narcotic for me. Now I am rather spry. This explains my late night posting. The namesake for this blog Bierkergaard is obviously the Danish philosopher and thinker Soren Kierkergaard. He used to walk the streets of Copenhagen to both relieve anxiety and encounter life, the world, and humanity, in all of its beauty and brokenness. It was a dual dialectic, both calming and disturbing.

I came across this video where a Lutheran pastor talks about this dialectic. It is a thoughtful reflection on writings and walkings of Kierkergaard. There is even a musical composition titled Kierkergaard Walking. I believe it is the prelude to the pastor's video but I am not musically literate enough to know for sure.

Most people live dejectedly in worldly sorrow and joy; they are the ones who sit along the wall and do not join in the dance. S.K. Or, the walk. I sure would love to go to Copenhagen one day and walk its streets in the footsteps of Soren.

Comments

M.joshua said…
Kierkegaard is absolutely fascinating to me. I love this note about Kierkegaard walks. I wasn't previously familiar with them.

Prayer walking has been a frequent practice of mine throughout my spiritual formation. And I've always found it interesting how I can get a grasp of Daddy's heart for the brokenness around me.

It is as you say: disturbing and comforting.
Eric Bierker said…
Thanks for your thoughts. Kierkergaard truly writes in a way like no other.

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream