Happy Birthday Action Church

Good friends of mine, Don and Michelle Record, have been the heart-beat behind Action Church in York, Pennsylvania.

Something is telling me that I have Michelle's name spelled incorrectly. The church is celebrating three years of existence. Birthed in a bar, weaned in a club, and now a toddler in a theater, it has been an interesting three years.

The Records would be the first to deflect glory to God and to the others who have joined them. Yet, I know that they have sacrificed a lot to see Action Church go from a crawl to walking.

The Records and I go way back to at least ten years ago when we, and another couple plus two volunteer staff, tried to start Young Life at my high school. That endeavor ultimately did not succeed. I hope the Lord, in calculating how I used my Talents at the end of my days, takes into account that I tried. For, I have not succeeded a lot in my life, but my intentions were good--and aimed upward and godward and not to Hell.

A lot of my work in the college transition area has seemed to be fruitless and full of pain, agony, and even some serious and profound disappointment with others. God is not through with me yet here I sense...despite the setbacks.

Here is a little history of Action Church. I see so much of the Young Life philosophy in the Record's approach to ministry. Here are some key principles: The Gospel is for messed up people; We are all messed up; A heart for those not yet Christian should under-gird the mission of the church, not meeting our own needs; Have some fun but take the Gospel seriously; Be willing to risk in order to meet people where they are; Be innovative, technologically-savvy, and artistically creative. Have donuts at the service.

Don is about the funniest guy I know...when he preaches, I am astounded that a person can be so funny so often. Yet, his sermons are far from only a giggle and a gag. There is so much God in what speaks about. Michelle is very industrious and a doer. She makes things happen.

Blessings to Action Church. Keep Loving God, Loving People, and Taking Action.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream