Turkey Day

I have been listening to WITF public radio the last couple of days and one of the morning hosts keeps referring to Thanksgiving as "Turkey Day." That is like calling a Wedding celebration "Cake Day." It is crass and uneducated and even desecrating. I would expect a DJ from FM 97 to mouth such a banal statement, not a supposed enlightened voice of the local intelligentsia.

Sounds more like the daily special at the local greasy spoon along with chicken waffles and oyster stew and stuffed peppers.

Reminds me of what Bart Simpson prays at Thanksgiving Dinner,

"We paid for this ourselves so thanks for nothing."

Lisa Simpson, in the Episode Bart vs. Thanksgiving laments:

I saw the best meals of my generation Destroyed by the madness of my brother. My soul carved in slices By spikey-haired demons.  
-- `Howl of the Unappreciated' by Lisa Simpson, ``Bart vs. Thanksgiving.'' 
Here is Lincoln's original proclamation establishing Thanksgiving.  



Comments

VanTil said…
The briefest glance at Lincoln's proclamation provides the obvious reason for substituting Turkey Day for Thanksgiving: giving thanks means thanking _someone_. I doubt your NPR host thinks there is Anyone to thank, so it is quite consistent.

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream