Thanksgiving Stromboli

My Dad stopped by our house on Tuesday on the way out to Pittsburgh. Lina and I decided to not join some of the rest of the family out there since she has been travelling so much recently.

My Dad had some precious cargo in his caravan.... Strombolis from Berwyn Pizza, close to where we grew up. The freezer in our garage looked like an Italian culinary armory. No, the Strombolis were not for me--all twenty of them--were for my brother Steve out in Pittsburgh. I am certain that if a 15 lb Stromboli was served for Thanksgiving Dinner rather than Turkey, that Steve would be quite pleased.

I am partial to the Sugar Bowl (in Millersville) Strombolis anyway. I will buy the Sugar Bowl Strombolis in lieu of a special trip down to Berwyn for Steve and he is grateful nonetheless. But, no doubt, he prefers Berwyn's. At some point there is going to be an Olympian Stromboli-off, with Gold and Silver being awarded. I wonder if any of those totally fair and impartial East German judges are still around.

Steve swears that no pizza shop out in Pittsburgh makes a good Stromboli. I have noticed that a place will never have both a good Pizza and a good Stromboli. It is like the establishment having two masters, one will be loved and the other hated. Don't know why this is but it is true.

I wonder if Steve would love Stromboli as much if he had a place that made a great one down in the shopping center within walking distance of his house. The distance geographically, makes more succulent and precious that slimy goodness slithering across the palate. Smeagol Stromboli.

Steve's infatuation for Stromboli reminded me of this verse from the Bible:

2 Sam 23:15

David longed for water and said, "Oh, that someone would get me a drink of water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem!"

David longed for some of the sweet and refreshing water of his youth in a time of warfare and conflict. Food and drink are powerful reminders in the fray of life of past provision, present sustenance, and future providence. Let us give thanks.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream