Don't Get High On Your Own Supply

I was listening to an interview with rapper and former crack dealer Jay-Z on Fresh Air this week. Jay-Z mentioned a line from the film Scarface: "Don't get high on your own supply."

The writer of this interview relayed this observation: "Through his 14 years on the streets, he never touched crack. He says there was a strict code among successful hustlers."

Here is Jay-Z talking about his years as a crack dealer, versus not being a crack user:

"We had these guidelines to help us out," he says. "Some of us died, some of us didn't. I never wanted that. I saw what it was doing to the community."

To his credit, Jay-Z now acknowledges the awful irony in his former logic. A perverse inversion of the Golden Rule. So good that God does not treat us as we can treat others.

Romans 5:8

But God commends his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of J.I. Packer on C.S. Lewis

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

I AM listening