End of Summer Report: Top Ten

I am trending to get up earlier, since I am back at school full-time in about 1 week. I am a morning person with some swing sleep schedule where I can get up later. Thought it would be good to blog first thing with my end of summer report. And, keeping in short.

- The Book - Publishing my book has reminded me that big tasks are almost always harder than we expect. Add to this that they will often cost you more also. Often, much more time and much more money. Estimate how much time and money you think something will cost you. Times it by a factor of 2.5. If you come out ahead, all the better. Better to have slack in the rope than strain.

- Fitness - Mountain-Biking has been the highlight of my summer. When getting exercise, there are two major principles: Make it fun and do it with friends. If an activity causes more aggravation and frustration--like oh, let's say golf--find a way to get exercise without making the results so feast or famine. Mountain-Biking has had its share of suffering this summer, yet that is part of the trail so to speak. The challenge creates adventure.

- Family Vacation - Expect the past to resurface and learn to control what you can and leave the rest to God. The Family Reunion to Niagara Falls had its share of rapids and great drops. I did my best to put my psyche in a barrel when going over family falls. And had a good time after all. People usually don't change. Only religious conversion, crisis and loss, have been shown to have any measurable effect on peoples' perspectives.

- The Gettysburg Battle 150th Anniversary -  For three days in early July, I immersed myself in the stories of that great battle. Both sides thought that God was on their side. In conflict, at least remember that God is the Final Judge in human affairs. Being humble enough to admit that you might be wrong rather than fly your failed flag.

- Work - I work enough over the summer to keep some skin in the game yet I also get a nice amount of days away. I think our society would be immeasurably better if we didn't work so much.  I am thankful to have a job that I enjoy. Although work has its trials, the lack of work creates an existential and practical vacuum, where anxiety, aimlessness, and anarchy can reign.

-  Netflix - I have watched a ton of great documentaries and films this summer. I have been particularly drawn to stories where people have done great things or are attempting great things. It is a good reminder that excellence is never easy. And if it looks easy, someone is excellent.

- Good Friends - I can't say I have a ton of great friends, but the friends I do have are great. Like gold. I try to stay in touch with people who are important to me. I also recognize that a good deal of friendship is based on common time and place. The test of friendship is when it transcends time and place.

- Church - It has been exciting to see my church plan the transition from one location to another and to do it in a way where almost everyone was involved in the decision. Veritas (my church) has definitely lit a fire under my butt ministry-wise. If you find that your church is not challenging you, and is instead it is turning more into an EZ Chair, you need to reconsider what and where you are with the calling God has given you.

- Living Below My Means - I try to avoid needless expenditure. Most people spend far too much on their car and house because they are trying to make a statement or use the exception for the rule. Like when needing a bigger house when the relatives visit. Or I need an SUV because I need to have extra space occasionally. Base your purchases on your patterns, not the exceptions. Exceptions can typically be addressed through rental or borrowing. If you are using credit cards to cover expenses and the balance carries over month-to-month, you are spending too much. Our government is a pathetic example of financial responsibility and I am not sure we are ever going to get it straight until we as citizens set our own houses in order.   
    
Writing - I have always written first for my own enjoyment. I tend to process life by writing and find joy and purpose in doing so. I don't want an audience to dictate my effort. I should do it first and foremost because it is profitable to my walk with God. If others can enter into that abundance, all the better.


        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream