Appretice Model

I watched all 16-20 minute episodes of David Chang's Mind of a Chef (he's owner of Momofuku) yesterday on Netflix. Watching what he and his culinary colleagues do taught me more about cooking in one day than I have probably learned in a lifetime.

This week is do what I want week without guilt as I am heading back to the Guidance kitchen next week. Read a follow-up interview with Chang this morning about how he thinks an apprenticeship model would be a much more effective and much less costly training program than going to a Culinary Arts School for 2 or 4 years. Apparently, even the best trained chefs in New York start out at $10 to $11 dollars an hour which is barely a livable wage, especially if you figure in students loan debt of 25-50K.

Chang instead he advises that future Chefs consider skipping school, start off as a dishwasher, and work their way up. Get paid to learn. He notes that 90% of work in restaurants is cleaning and organizing and only 10% cooking. Learn by doing in real time and in a real restaurant with a real cook. Made me think more deeply about Jesus and his saying:

"Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." (Matthew 11:29).

Two key ingredients in learning the Jesus way--gentle, humble--the outcome--rest for your soul.   
       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream