God Loves a Cheerful Eater


2nd Cor. 9:6-7

The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully[a] will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Today, I walked to a new restaurant in Lancaster City. It is a Haitian place. Above is the pork, plantains, and potato plate. Good home Caribbean, which is appropriate cuisine these days because Lancaster is feeling like the tropics. I swear we are in monsoon season.

I walked through the city for around a mile to get there because I wanted to also check out some houses for sale. If I can do it without too much stress and expense, all things being equal, I would prefer being out of the 'burbs. I came into the restaurant sweating like a hog and then wiped my face with a napkin which shredded it on my stubble and then flaked off my face like flurries. GQ, I know.

Friends of mine accuse me of being a "Foodie" which makes me feel like I should also be a Lib, Blue Stater, Cork-Sniffer, and a modern-day Aristocrat. None of which I am. True, I love food but there is a very important caveat. I like good feed cheap. Not some $150 dinner for two ridiculousness. Almost profane except for special occasions.

The Foodie charge must come from all of my posts of picture of food on Facebook. But, there is a reason why I do this--and it has nothing to do with trying to one up someone on a culinary scale, "My posts are yummier than yours." I want to get the word out. And there is another underlying ingredient of me putting money where my mouth is: Empowerment. Many of the eateries I frequent are ethnic, family-owned and operated, and local. Not some chain restaurant clone, cranking out the crap and commercials. Nachos, Wings, Burgers?

Keeping dollars in the community is the best way to prosper a city and it gives good work to the proprietors and their employees, as well a sense of legitimate pride of preparing delicious food for clientele. Hopefully, some of the customers are not from the same ethnic group. I know that it does not look like a ministry of the mouth, but I do kind of see it that way. The good will that is engendered by embracing others' culture and literally taking it in as food has to do something beneficial to a community body as a whole. And, we often do a lot of good by directing our dollars to those who are trying to make their way up the ladder of success.

I agree that I am not suffering but since when is service always sacrificial to the point of severe pain? Somehow doing good and feeling bad while doing it seems to be a prevailing martyr model of ministry. I am miserable therefore I must be in God's will. If you can't do something cheerfully, either repent of a bad attitude or don't do it. Guilt and the Gospel don't belong in the same dish.

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of J.I. Packer on C.S. Lewis

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

I AM listening