Days of Future Passed



Every day of the week has a special color and scent. Like a bouquet of flowers. I appreciate them all. Let me count the ways. Here is my tribute:

Sunday - It is actually now the first day of the week, not last. We start with resurrection by rest. God raises us up. Sundays are when the jets cool, the circuits rest, and the mind is allowed to not be on high alert. God has declared done. We learn to trust God and let go on Sundays. People that can't rest are basically telling God that they cannot have faith in His provision and protection.

Monday - I actually look forward to Mondays wondering what the week holds. I heard at a conference this week that the number one wish of people worldwide is to "have a good job." Not a hand-out Mitch Romney. People often dread Mondays because they have to head back to work. Want to dread Mondays? Have no job to go to. Work is where we spend most of our days and as well we should. Recreation is as dessert and not a meal. Want to go brain dead? Play golf all of the time.

Tuesday - The Moody Blues have a song called Tuesday Afternoon. " I am just beginning to see, now I am on my way, it doesn't matter to me, chasing the clouds away." Have no idea what it means but the music and lyrics awaken a sweet melancholy. Tuesdays just are. Very Zen. "The trees are drawing me near, I have to find out why."

Wednesday - Known euphemistically as "Hump Day." A couple who I hang out with on a regular basis and I go to the local Nepalese restaurant called "The Himalayan" on Wednesdays. Getting over the peak of Wednesday, the weekend is on its way. It is a luge run to the weekend. I was just informed that they are getting take-out for us tonight from there. No need to only have it on Wednesdays!

Thursday - It is the appetizer for the weekend. It is sometimes a night where I can sneak a night-out lite and get bed in enough time to wake up for Friday morning and drag through the morning until the coffee kicks in like an after-burner. Thursdays are a promise that one more day and we can call it a week of sweat and toil are ending.

Friday - It is the funnest day of the week. Yet, God ordained the Cross to stand on Friday as a reminder that fun and frivolity must always be tempered by the innate seriousness of life. Laughter and Tears co-mingled. Cut loose, its Friday. But be circumspect.

Saturdays - Besides drinking two whole cups of coffee on Saturdays (and better coffee, usually botique Ethiopian) rather than the half-cup more prosaic blend during the weekdays, Saturdays are my huge get it done day. Laundry, vacuuming, writing my book, paying bills, etc, Saturdays are satisfying because I am taking care of business and prepping for Sundays by collecting twice the manna (see Old Testament for the reference). If we push double-hard on Saturday and then call it a day and night at midnight, God will restore you seven-fold. I almost did an entire Ph.D. program maximizing my Saturdays. I had some long days and nights but appreciated the availability of a day which was open for such effort.             



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream