Physician Heal Thyself: What? I Ain't Sick


In a continuation of yesterday's blog on the people of Nazareth dissing Jesus. "Yo' miracle man, hook me up." The Bible is pretty blunt that those in the crowd were punks. They wanted Jesus to deliver miracles as Papa John delivers pizza. And they treated him like a pizza delivery boy. I have a friend who delivers pizza. He works another job, he goes to grad school. He is just taking care of his bills. He notes that richer the people are as a rule, the fancier the house, the nicer the car, the ruder and less generous tippers they are. Asses.

So, Jesus tell the crowd that they are an unappreciative bunch. He calls them out. They don't accept it. They want to toss him of a cliff like a frisbee. You know, when I was sick with a ruptured appendix, my job was to shut my mouth and submit to the Dr, Surgeon, and other medical personnel. I couldn't fix my medical emergency. So, here is Jesus, the Great Physician of Souls, telling them that they are sick and only He can make them healthy. And rather than go, "Hey, He is right. It hurts to hear the Truth but it is a hurt that leads to healing." The crowd tries to tell Jesus what is up. They are sick, and their sickness itself leads them to make the wrong diagnosis. They are not in their right mind or soul.

We are all sin sick or are in recovery. It reminds me of the saying that the Church is a hospital for sick people rather than a museum for saints. As we progress in sanctification, we leave our sin and sickness behind and join Christ in his hope, healing, and the bringing of soul health.         

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream