My Hometown? Columbia, Pa.


Today, when I was completing the author biographical information for my book on Book Baby, I was tempted to list Lancaster, Pa. as my hometown. But, it really ain't the case. I live in Columbia, Pa., about 8 miles West, towards the river, with the van, a la Chris Farley. Columbia has seen better days. Lancaster is more literary. Columbia is more litter.

Columbia missed being the nation's capitol by a vote. Since then, like most river towns that have not developed a commerce district, it has fallen on hard times. Now, it is a town of yesterdays and no tomorrows beyond the grace of God. I like to think it is like where Jesus was from...Nazareth....can anything good come from there? Here?

I have toyed around with living in Lancaster city. As far as Central Pa cities go, it is the beautiful one. York, Reading, and Harrisburg, are towns that never were and never will be. Again, unless the grace of God falls down like rain. There is not much in these places that show human esteem. But, does not God say that He has chosen the foolish to confound the wise, the weak to undo the strong? Where lowliness beats out the great evil: pride and human wisdom? So, yes, I am from Columbia, Pa. So be it.      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream