Deep Psalms


Psalms 42:7

Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me.

I have been sleeping with my Bible on my bed for the last month. It blesses me to be close to it in the night. I have been delving a lot into the Psalms recently and have found great comfort. Psalms is one of those books in the Bible that we know but don't know. So many of our songs in the Church have their origins in the Psalms. Makes sense because many of the Psalms were written to be songs. The Psalm above (Ps. 42:7) sounds threatening, and most commentators see it that way. I disagree. God's drowning, as in Baptism, sinks sin like a wicked slave ship going to take people captive, to the bottom of the sea. No great loss there.  

I love the nature settings of the Psalms....the heavens, the sun, the stars, seas, streams, mountains, all declaring the glory of God. In our McWorld that has been subdivided, concretized, franchised, laced with lights and blurry bright neon, the majesty of the Creation is fragmented. Like pieces of a puzzle strewn about, we miss the big picture. Take away the smoke and mirrors, and we come face-to-face with a world that is not cut down to size and minimized. And that is only the beginning, for we ponder who made the deep and realize He is infinitely deeper.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream