Weights of Glory

Romans 1:20

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

My back was getting better from the couch slumbering. I found the softness of the cushions and laying long-wise was bad for the spine and sent my poor back into spasm. So, I have spent time in the rocking chair. Fitting for the old man I am.

A couple of days ago though, my back once again started to hurt. Then I got to thinking: I have abandoned the lifting of weights. Initially it was the vacation to Chicago for a week but then in the last two weeks, upon return, I have avoided lifting, in an attempt to heal the back. It has me speculation that the avoidance is actually the source of the ache.

It seems as if God is teaching  me that I need to raise the weights in order to exercise my back out of its maladies; that neglecting the exercise is causing my back to internally collapse. Self-diagnosis can be suspect but I am testing out the theory. I lifted weights for 20 minutes today and will issue a prognosis in a day or two. Lifting weights is akin to praising God. We are meant to exercise our faith into attitude and action. Absorbing grace then expressing glory to God.        

C.S. Lewis wrote in the essay The Weight of Glory the following: "We are summoned to pass through Nature, beyond her, into the splendour which she fitfully reflects." That is God. God's glory, according to the Westminster Confession, is the chief end of man, and to enjoy Him forever. When we try to accept glory on our own and for our own it breaks us. Deification of humanity without the Trinity as the object of faith drives us down into disease...we are made in the image of God but are not God. Man as mirror.

We have to give back to God...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream