Take Time to Pet the Puppy

The other afternoon, I was doing my jog around the neighborhood. One factor in the last two home purchases I have made has been whether the neighborhood was a good place to go for a run...circular, little traffic, no stray bullets. Stuff like that.

Since the circle in my neighborhood approximates a half a mile, 8 times around is 4 miles. That is my standard run and I very determinedly strive to do it in under 40 minutes. I was booking around one of the last bends and was well certain to be coming in under 40 minutes.

But, then I saw a puppy. Man, I had to stop and get some waggin' and slobberin' joy. Is there anything more fun than getting into a puppy's world and just having some pet time? By the time I was finished with the interlude, I was behind in my time to make it in under 40. I missed my goal by 20 seconds.

We all have heard the saying "to take time to smell the roses." One should also take time to pet the puppies. In the end of life, we will have lived through some big joys and some big sorrows. Most of the time, though, the joys and sorrows will have been small. Don't run by the small joys wagging right in front of you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream