Saved By Faith and Not By Jobs

I like millions and millions the world over mourn the death of Steve Jobs. Although I am a dedicated PC user for my lap top (it is what I am used to), I have a special place in my heart for my iPhone. Bill Gates reminds me of the brilliant know-it-all twerp in the class whereas Steve Jobs seemed like the quirky cool dude who just had high expectations.

I am enough of a right-brainer to appreciate the intuitiveness and the innovativeness of the Apple design and elan. His rise, his exile, and his return to restore the shine to Apple is almost mythical in it three acts.

I spent a good chunk of time last night reading the tributes to his life and genius. I watched this video animation of Jobs coming to the Pearly Gates where St. Peter swipes through his screens on his iPad and then comes to Jobs picture and ushers him in. Although I can acknowledge the sorrow people feel at the loss of Jobs, and the desire to seek comfort and solace, it is important and crucial to affirm what (or better who) gets people into heaven. It is not being a producer of cool tools, it is by the Cross (the what) and Jesus (the who).

It is comforting to know that we don't have to be as legendary as Steve Jobs to win God's favor. Heck, we don't even have to own an iPhone. We just have to call on the name of Jesus.


For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream