Pour Over Coffee

Sunday morning, after church. Square One coffee shop downtown beckoned like a bell. I drove trance like to the shop. Sunday mornings are nice in town...plenty of parking, the shop is more in chill mode. Not the weekday in-and-out I want my coffee now vibe.

I ordered the Ethiopian Pour Over coffee and then stood entranced by the deliberate and delicate steps of the process. The general approach is go slow, coaxing the coffee beans to give her heart by wooing rather than scorching the grounds into compliance. One can taste the fear of coffee brewed badly. I wouldn't have the heart to ask for a Pour Over on a crowded Monday morning.

Here is an essay in the New York Times about the Pour Over process. As I sat in the chair and slowly sipped the elixir down, I was reminded that going slower is so that we can rather go deeper.

Comments

Mark said…
Give me the coffee press.
Eric Bierker said…
I have to agree in retrospect. A buddy and I had a French Press of Mexican organic coffee the other day and it was stellar.

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream