COSTCO - Lancaster County Style

I shopped at COSTCO tonight for our my thrice yearly shopping experience there. My wife, who I call the "COSTCO Queen" usually is the one who shops for us. But, I back her up. She loves COSTCO...it is the one store that Lancaster County has where she liked to shop before moving here.

Since I am not much of a shopper by nature, I like that I can go to COSTCO and buy enough food and goods for about three months. The downside is that I don't like crowds...not in an anxiety or panic-stricken way...I just get frustrated by how slow people move. Like getting stuck in crosstown traffic. Especially, on weekends when COSTCO hands out samples. People act like a swarm of seagulls fighting over a French Fry.

COSTCO is a retail operation that maximizes quality and quality, and is generally more affordable than other stores. Plus, they don't treat their workers like like Amishmen treat their horses (i.e. Walmart).

Speaking of Amishmen, it appears like COSTCO has special parking spaces for their buggies. I snapped the picture above tonight. It seems a little odd that the Amish shop at COSTCO, but they are a thrifty people...plus they need a hundred pack of toilet paper rolls just like the rest of us. I scoped out a shopping cart of Jakey and his woman and nothing seemed out of the ordinary or unusual. Pretty sure that COSTCO is not yet carrying Horse-Chow 200 pound Econo-Feedbags. Thought it gauche to ask if I could take their picture.

Lancaster County is a region where people are conservative by nature. The conservatism is not just religious and political...it is also in terms of spending money and not exactly being warm to outsiders and transplants. "Provincial" is a good word for the less endearing aspects of this area and I speak as one who has lived here for almost all of the last thirty years (except two). But, I will never be a native...and that is fine by me. I consider myself a Philly-boy. The upside is that the foreclosure rates in the county on homes is among the lowest in the U.S. and housing prices are more stable than almost anywhere else in our nation.

So, COSTCO seems to be a good fit for this area. Even for the Amish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream