Sitting at the Feet of Shane Claiborne

On Tuesday night, I had the good pleasure of sitting at the feet of Shane Claiborne...literally. The church was so crowded that the only place where I could sit was on the floor, feet away from the lectern where he was speaking. I could have kicked him if I wanted to. Of course, I didn't. I kept having to pull my long legs to my chest as to not trip him as he moved around animatedly.

Shane is one of the founders and public face of The Simple Way, a movement of community-minded evangelical Christians who reside in the badlands of Philadelphia. Kensington, I have been there. Speaking of face, see his picture in the 'hood.

The Simple Way serves the community, showing a radical commitment to loving one's neighbor. And it is love in practical ways: Food, shelter, clothing, companionship. Much like Jesus selecting the down-and-outers to do His ministry. Really, all of us are down-and-outers. That's the point, no matter how good we look and smell.

I know something must give in our country. Radical selfishness needs to be offset by radical generosity. Christians should be able to show the world what dying to self and living for God looks like in the 21st century. I, while hardly a pacifist Mennonite, entirely agree with the conviction of the dangers of militarism, capitalism without a conscience, and putting our ease above alleviating the needs of others. I am not sure what Claiborne's message means to me and what changes I have to make. I am praying to God to open my eyes and heart to see what He sees and to do what Jesus would have done, and is doing, in our time and place and circumstance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream