Great Good Third Places

Yesterday I met with my buddy Matt, a photographer, for coffee at Square One in Lancaster City. Last year we got together on a more semi-regular basis (it was never really regular in terms of consistency). This year, with me being back in school and off of sabbatical, I don't see Matt as much. I don't think Facebook counts...

Special bonus yesterday, no parking meters needing to be filled due to the MLK holiday.

Matt and I had a splendid time (boy, do I love the word splendid for some reason) catching up. Certain people add to the soul, others detract, in terms of inspiration. Matt is an adder. Check out his work. Matt and I met last year through another friend, Ken Mueller, of Inkling Media, when Ken and I were chatting at Chestnut Hill Cafe (another great coffee shop in Lancaster city).

Ray Oldenburg, in his seminal work, The Great Good Place, writes of the third place--where social introduction, involvement, and interaction happen--outside of the home and workplace, either with already established friendships or new acquaintances. The least stressful and awkward way to meet new people is through established relationships. Like a starter log in a fireplace. Although, it never really hurts to introduce oneself to a total stranger and see what happens. This involves the risk of rejection and non-reciprocation, but assuming one's motives are good, the worst that can happen is a bruise to the ego. And, that is not necessarily a bad thing. People might think we are weirdos, or Amway reps, or evangelizers, or all three in one.

After meeting with Matt, and filled with at least 28 ounces of French Press (like freebasing coffee) San Christobal Mexican Blend at Square One, I walked around town for a while. I deliberately went by the in-progress Springhouse Brewery Taproom on West King Street. This promises to be another one of my "Favorite Third Places." I wonder if I can set this to the music of, "These are Some of My Favorite Things." I mourn the loss of the barn as a meeting place in Conestoga though.

It is not realistic for Christians to expect people who have trepidations about our faith and religion to always come to church. This can be a profoundly uncomfortable feeling for many. But, when we forgo the home field advantage, and on go on others' turf, God may use our intentionality to open eyes and hearts to the goodness of His grace. Listen, be friendly, laugh. Don't push the Gospel, pull.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream