Walk Right This Way

Well, I was meeting my buddy for coffee at Higher Grounds coffee shop in Mt. Joy on Saturday. I was in one of those scenarios where I was coming back from another place further along the same route and to go home and back to Mt. Joy would have just burned gas and an additional 40 minutes spent driving when I instead could of been walking around on a beautiful Saturday.

Mt. Joy is not exactly NYC, so I decided to walk up and down the main drag. On the walk, I encountered about the lamest two table Farmer's Market ever, and one of the dudes was selling candy.

It is so easy when we drive to miss things because all is a blur. Walking is so much more informative and interesting. Further down, I came across this used book store which carries books about art, architecture, food, and wine. I bought Lina, the Foodie, a History of Food book by some French lady (translated into our base English).

I bargained with the proprietor from $ 25 down to $ 20. Although I knew Lina would like the gift, I also know that she loves a discount. Deal!

Here is the ironic thing. My buddy has lived in the Mt. Joy area his whole life and taught me a lot about the value of community life...and he didn't know the bookstore was there...a bookstore that has been in operation for over 15 years. This is no slam on him. It just shows that there are wonders all around.

The owner and I had an interesting conversation for about 15 minutes about how he got into selling books and also into how the joists were closer together on one side of his shop under the floorboards which explained why all of the book shelves were over to one side

It shows the power of walking around. Jesus walked around a lot...maybe we need to do the same...life just has a way of opening up like a book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream