Vietnamese Food

I know that I am hardly a foodie but I must pay homage to Vietnamese food. Lancaster actually kind of shines with several good to excellent Vietnamese restaurants. To be fair, there are also a couple of places that aren't too hot. There is also a decent Asian grocery store, run by Vietnamese, across from McCaskey High School.

In all things Asian, we are way behind the chopstick curve, except the Vietnamese. Our Chinese, Thai, and Sushi, are far from stellar in the County (Shogun had been replaced with "Tsunami" which is a pretty sick/stupid name considering the massive tragedy just a couple of years ago). What next...a Cambodian place called Khmer Rogue?

So, stick with the Vietnamese winner. It is the one horse in the race that can win outside of Lancaster/Central Pa. I do like Hong Kong Garden on 462 West of Lancaster, a Chinese place, which crushes Tony Wango-Tango's on 30.

Vietnamese food is fresh, balanced, and just plain good eats. Tonight, Lina was coming back from NYC and the train arrived later than expected. I waited at the truly lame Berean Christian Bookstore down at the Lancaster Shopping Center until her train arrived. I was bored in less than two minutes. How much crap, outside of the Bibles--which will always be on my A-List, can I bear to witness? T-shirts, license plates, bumper stickers, knick-knacks, and the latest minimus opus from Joel Osteen?

On the other hand, if I had gone to Hearts and Minds in Dallastown, I would still be there.

Once the train came, rather than come home immediately, we took a left on Prince instead of a right and stopped by the Vietnamese place across from the Clipper Stadium (whose name I never can remember). What can I say, she wanted to go and my arm was ready to be twisted like one of those green ties for a plastic baggie.

I like the fact that the name is not something stupid like "Steaming Bowl of Rice" or another name that makes it easy for white boys like me to remember. Like the food, the name is ethnically accurate. No compromise, no apologies.

They close at 8:00...get the Spring Rolls and take it from there...and the food will please your palate and you should be able to have a dinner for two for under 20 bucks. VietnaMMMMese.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream