Obama Vacation: Give It A Rest



I think it surprises people that I defend Obama at times. There is much in terms of his beliefs and actions I don't agree with but when I do agree with a position and a perspective, I don't have any issue with supporting his stance. It really is not a Yes or No deal. Call me major Red & minor Blue. I didn't vote for the man for President and probably would not vote for him to a position on the local school board, so I am not some closet Liberal. Domestically, I really don't think he knows how to govern. Period. He gives decent speeches, he is thoughtful, but his is better suited for professorship, not presidency.

He is a professional pontificator...that is his best skill by far. And maybe his golf game.

But to agree when there is agreement is just common sense. Further, that to me is just being fair. I would hope for the same with people who disagree with me on some (or most issues) to stand with me when they happen to concur. I think our criticisms are greatly enhanced when we don't just default to opposition like some stupid programmed Roomba bouncing off the issues with no reflection. And take my word for it, there are some stupid Republicans and talk show hosts. I watch CSPAN. All of the time. Love the tagline for CSPAN2 BOOKTV, "Television for Serious Readers." Almost an oxymoron. Most TV is just moron.

The recent criticism about Obama going on vacation to Martha's Vineyard frankly disturbs me. Conservatives are supposed to be Pro-Family. He wants to hang with his kids and wife. I know the world is going to hell around the globe but I really don't think Obama pushing Americanism intervention is the solution to what ails the world. Pax Americana has come to an end as well it should.

Wasn't it George Washington who stated in his Farewell Speech to the nation that our new nation should avoid entangling alliances? Admittingly, the world  was not as interconnected back then by technology (transportation, commerce, internet, global Pop culture, just to name a few). But, his wisdom is instructive and kept America from backing the revolution in France which turned out to be a murderous rampage on a massive scale and it could be argued, set the table for the World Wars I and II via Napoleon. We really can't win if we intervene. We tick some homicidal party off who makes it their dying wish to make us pay. There are so many conflicts where neither side wears white but are all red all over (as in blood).

Ironic though, without French assistance, it is very likely that we would have lost the Revolutionary War. France back us not out of some high-minded principal, but to stick it to the Brits who they warred with for centuries.

So, I think Obama's inclination for detachment is the appropriate stance. If both, or many sides, decide to kill each other. The blood is on them. We do need to retract our foreign aid, troops, and military/armament shipments, despite what it is going to cost our defense contractors and Armed Services. Eisenhower, another icon, warned us of the Military-Industrial complex. We seem so unwilling to listen to those who knew the issues and the problems. So, to my Conservative colleagues, stuff it man. You come across being stupid and critical and dumb when criticizing Obama going on vacation and having a little fun.

I would be more concerned if Obama just sat in the Oval Office working all day and night. Nixon seemed consumed by the Presidency 24-7 and was a Paranoiac. Taping every conversation until it became too self-incriminating for him to do so. It might have done him a world of good to develop some hobbies besides plotting late in the night of how he was going to exact revenge on his foes, real or imagined. And drinking alcohol until he became a raving lunatic at 2:00 AM. Even when Nixon was supposed to be chilling, he looked stiff and consumed.

Here is my general take on all of this. When you work, work. When you don't, don't. There needs to be clear lines of labor and rest/recreation. I make it a matter of principle to walk out the door of work after my day is done (about 7 hours and change). Others may want to live at their desk, that is their choice. Not me. I want to go for a run, hang-out, watch a movie. Lay in bed listening to a sermon. Read a book. Connect with friends. Watch CSPAN. I stopped trying to be a hero years ago. I wasn't very good at it.

Interestingly, when we take off some time from work and just have fun, surf the waves, eat some good grub, chill with friends and fam, we come back renewed and ready to do the work before us. If we have never left, we become listless and beaten-down.  Recharge your batteries as the old adage goes.

If any Being never needed to rest, it was God on the 7th Day of Creation. How does an infinite Deity in any way need to rest? Is He depleted? Need some R & R after a rough six days of creating the Universe? No, He did  not. He rested because it is good in and of itself. He shows us that rest is good, just like work is good. Too much of one or the other becomes an idol.

Or as my buddy Rob puts it, "No Pain, No Beer." (when we mountain bike).              

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream