The Inferiority/Superiority Complex


Romans 12:3

Because of the privilege and authority God has given me, I give each of you this warning: Don't think you are better than you really are. Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves, measuring yourselves by the faith God has given us.

I have been catching up with my buddies now that I am off of work for a bit. Typically, during the school year, I keep to a tight schedule. During the week I work, work-out, eat, and sleep. I don't hang out a lot Monday through Thursday at night. I like to come home, close the door, and tell the world that I will see it tomorrow. I love the sound of the lock of my front door turning. Maybe like the dog whose ears perk-up when he hears the dog food in the can opener. Or me when I am opening my beer fridge.    

My work is taxing and I need to recharge. I have too many consequences of pushing myself non-stop and have learned the value of resting and regrouping. I have become adept at No. No guilt, no compulsion, no thanks. If I cannot do something cheerfully, I don't do it. I have to search my conscience though to make sure that I don't just need an attitude adjustment.  

Over the summer though, I become a social butterfly. I sleep later, read more books, take full advantage of my Netflix Instant download plan, and get-together with friends. In fact, I have a hoagie lunch on the calendar with a fellow former Philadelphian today at 1:00. I am so very happy that there are Wawas in Lancaster County now. Turkey Hill, Sheetz, and Rutters, are all Plain Janes compared to the Prom Queen Wawa. Where I lived in 1970 had one of the first Wawa's around, down in Devon, Pa. (close to Philly) when my family lived in the infernal Devon-Strafford Apartments. Wawa makes great hoagies (subs, heroes, etc.)

One buddy and I got together recently, we share a love of Jesus and Jimi Hendrix, and we had a conversation about inferiority, feeling like we don't measure up to our potential. Even worse, having others not seeing how gifted we are. So, the external Inferiority Complex is related to an internal Superiority Complex, where we feel special and are somewhat perturbed that others don't grasp our talent. Be honest, all of us have this malady.

So, what looks determined by a poor self-image is actually the result  of an inflated sense of self. The fun house mirror of ego making us look bigger and better than we are inside of our own minds which then somehow gets projected inversely to the outside world as self-pity, etc. Poor Meism. I am a Wawa and not a Turkey Hill!

The Scriptures have a supernatural ability to cut to the chase of all of this warped nonsense. We are made in the image of God, and that gives us great worth. Yet, we are broken, only redeemed by Jesus. So, we should have the capacity to see our great allotment of gifts, our serious sinfulness, and the grace of God that reconciles all of this mess.

Humility is like a wire, the closer it is too the ground, the less distance there is to fall. It is awesome to do cool and creative things, but do it for the right reasons. Not the applause, acclaim or notoriety, but because you want to make the world a better place. That provides the ability to be at peace, whether the work is truly appreciated or not. Just as we have freely received, freely give. Let go, let God, and all that.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream