Sleep in Peace



Proverbs 3:24

When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.

Not being able to sleep is one of the most vexing problems a person can be cursed with. I would rather have boils all over my body rather than not enough sleep. Not that I am looking for a choice here. Fortunately, I typically sleep soundly.  

Sleep for many can be elusive as a ghost and sometimes the more a person needs and wants it, the less likely it is to occur. Truly vexing. From my experiences and observations, it seems a big theme in the inability to sleep is being unable to resolve a problem. Sometimes we can take steps to address the problem, sometimes we just have to accept that we can't and make our peace with it, as onerous as the issue may be.

We are inclined to desire a change in our circumstances and that desire may lead us astray into anxiety. It may be better to stop striving, let go, and trust that God works in our adversity for our good. Hard medicine. From the Dr. of our Souls. God. Who tells us so precriptively. Jesus tells us that He gives us a peace that the world cannot give. Seek His peace.  

One thing I will never do is lay in bed for hours tossing and turning. I typically will listen to a sermon, read an uplifting book, that feeds me peace. In fact, I sleep with my Bible on my bed. Even better than warm and cuddly Fido.

I have also made a total committment to not drink caffeine after 12:00 noon daily. Add to that some exercise and keeping an eye on what I eat to make sure it provides my body and mind what it needs, normally I sleep in peace. And I am thankful for it.       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream