Anarchy & Conscience



I have been praying recently that God would let me share the Gospel in a real way. Sometimes sharing the faith is driven by guilt, duty, and a host of other negatively-based reasons. I particularly despise sharing Jesus like He is a commodity, a peace pill for all that ills--like Vicodin. A God who expects little but gives relief. Pharmatheology.

I have some to see that the Lord experienced every emotion that we do and as such creates a spectrum of spiritual connection to all people. Joy, sorrow, loneliness, happiness, anger, frustration, fear, hope, affection (etc.). There are many portals to the soul.  That is our bridge to people if we dare walk it, and take time to go into the world and listen.

On Sunday, we had a free for all at Church where people brought Bible verses, sections of book chapters, and poetry, to read rather than our typical dicussion and conversation about a Bible issue. We are a pretty open lot to start with so Sunday was just further freeing of the structure to let the Spirit move.

Some decided in our group to go out and ask to pray with people out and about in Lancaster City. That kind of weirded me out to be  honest. Not my style. I have no problem with others doing it, and even applaud it. It just is not for me.

Me, I am much more comfortable just hanging out with people and getting to know them. A buddy and I decided to head down to the local coffee shop and hang out. Coffee House evangelism, much more my style. I love coffee. After buying a bag of "Burundi Teka" originated from the small African country of Burundi at the recommendation of a staffer of what he liked, I was given a complimentary cup of coffee. That is the rule of the establishment when one buys a bag. A free cup.

Since I had already bought a cup of coffee, and the purchase of the Burundi Teka was an after-thought, I had another cup of fine Ethiopian brew at my disposal. I gave it out to a tatoo-covered punk rocker-like dude sitting across in a chair from the counter. I invited him join us outside.

In the ensuing conversation, laden with about as many times I have ever heard someone use the F-Bomb, he proceeded to share his story, his hatred of George W. Bush, and even some theological observations of God ordering genocide in the Old Testament and then becoming a "Love Your Enemies" Deity in the New Testament. I decided to not take that one on. I have my thoughts but figured this debate was prone for disaster. In short, sin is terrible.

We spoke of how Jesus was hated and reviled and hung on a Cross.

The dude called himself an Anarchist but the more I talked with him, he seemed far from being lawless--which technically is the definition of anarchy. No rule, no law, no order. In fact, his slamming of George W. Bush had a decidedly moral bent to it. So, if there is no law, how is it possible to call someone lawless, immoral, unjust, as effin' George W.? I commented that he was no  Anarchist because he had a conscience.

It was just in the reverse order of the image above, from Anarchy Rules to Peace and Justice.

That was about the tale end of the conversation. We departed on good terms.      
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream