The Rise, Reign, and Ruin of the Sock Monkey


I have good friends, a couple, who have a skinny almost all-white cat named Sock Monkey. Actually, that is my name for him. I think his real name is Wolfgang. I call him Sock Monkey because, well, he looks like a Sock Monkey. The other week I was chilling at their place and Sock Monkey was getting pretty chummy with me. I mean he was purring when I was petting him, all sweet and cozy. It was a love fest.

I had a cat named Barnabas who was about the sweetest animal of all time. He had all the wonderful traits of a dog--namely a people pleaser who liked to be pet--without the bark. Plus, I could leave him alone while away for a weekend and he would be fine. Although, the 11 days I left him alone in my apartment in Lancaster was pretty wrong. I think, based of the size of the turds in the litter box, that he ate all of his allotted food in three days. He was a bit ticked when I finally got home. I truly was not a good nominee of Frisky Buffet's Cat Owner of the Year Award.

So, based on old dear Barnabas, I like some cats. The aloof arrogant ones I don't bother with. But, Sock Monkey seemed to be one that was a cool cat. But, and it is a big but, he then BIT me. After all that affection I had lavished on him. And it wasn't because I stepped on his tail. It was pure evil. A bite out of nowhere like a sniper bullet fired out in the night. He had it so good. I was loving him.

Now I look upon old Sock Monkey a little warily. He tries now to cozy up to me and I retreat and recoil. How soon he has forgotten his betrayal. Sock Monkey is like the world. We give ourselves to it and we eventually get bit. I have been around long enough to show you the marks. Keep your purr to yourself.       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of J.I. Packer on C.S. Lewis

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

I AM listening