Life: A Long, Hard, & Beautiful Run


Ecclesiastes 9:11

Again I saw under the sun that the race is not to the swift, or the battle to the strong, or bread to the wise, or riches to the discerning, or favor to the skillful; rather, time and chance happen to all of them.

"The ox is slow but the ground is patient."

I made a comment the other day on a Facebook Group comprised of those on the older side who are still trying to stay fit physically that I felt as if I had done my previous 4 mile run that day like a slow ox. Someone chimed in with this quote then disavowed any knowledge about what it meant. The group is called "Use It or Lose It."

I had not run in two months. Since surgery, I had been taking it easy. Not running or lifting--and I have the girth to prove it. But, the day my surgeon stated where I could resume all activities was March 9th. Thus, this week I have completed the 4 mile run three times. And it has hurt. So, the FB group could be titled "Lost It, Trying to Find It."

Before surgery, I could do the run in about 40 minutes. Now, I speculate I am closer to an hour. I am afraid the actually check. The run is a combination of hills and dales, dirt trails, and busy streets. Bossy dogs and distracted drivers. Geese on lakes, mud and asphalt. This is no running a flat track in circles. Instead, it has all of the ups and downs and changes of scenery that life itself has. I would have an existential crisis on a treadmill. Bored, like a hamster on a wheel.

I dread the run, love the run. It hurts yet it causes me to feel as if I am accomplishing something grand, even if is is only some internal Olympic-like spirit. I am competing against myself and my circumstances.  I am glad to be back running. Don't stop. Keep moving. No matter how slow. The race is not to the swift. But, to the persistent.          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream