The Power of Renunciation

Renunciation sounds like a bummer of a word. Thumbs down....like Simon Cowell back when he was on American Idol. But, it ain't. Embracing wrong is negative, renunciation of wrong is positive. Like math, two negatives make a positive. The Gospel in Arithmetic. Not sure of why math-wise, but spiritually I get the computation. Scorn the ways of the Devil...a good equation. A plus for ye pupils, pencils in hand. Halos for you.

Here is my application. I typically get myself in spiritual trouble when I attempt to assert apex-like egotism. I love formulas, strategies, to-do lists, techniques. Ways to maximize results. It is not always bad but trying to be like God is always trouble. There is tremendous relief in letting go. I mean, by all means do your best. Don't shirk duties. Be responsible. Yet, I need to remember the best laid plans often go awry and rather than trying to direct the currents of Providence, instead learn to surf the waves. Find where God is, and join in.

Generally people get more crotchety and brittle as they get older. I am actually moving in the opposite direction. I have been driven so much of my adult life that it has undone me. I have wound up becoming weary and I am attempting to take it more as it comes and trust that God is in control. Laugh and don't take everything so somberly, without making fun of others' suffering. And it is refreshing.          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream