FB Me, Event Maybe


I am one of those people who use the Facebook "Maybe" option pretty often in responding to the RSVP for events. It is kind of odd because I am not generally an indecisive person. In fact, my co-workers would probably say just the opposite. And they know me best where decision-making is crucial. I don't dawdle and delay. Instead, after due diligence, I deal with it. Because the issue isn't going to disappear.

For my social life, I like to leave my options open and clicking "Maybe" on Facebook at least puts potential events on my iPhone calendar. That to me is just putting the cards into the deck and I want to be able to keep track of how I may play the cards like poker. Today, for instance, after meeting with the graphic designer for my book cover (a must meeting, no maybe on this one), I could head down to a Belgian Beer Festival in Baltimore, or go to the inaugural buffet for a Vietnamese restaurant down in Lancaster, or head to the grand opening of St. Boniface's new location for their nanobrewery in Ephrata. Tonight, I could swing to The Rowhouse where "Nothing is Not Sacred" to experience a lecture from a Nigerian artist. I could also mix-and-match events.

Who knows how the day will roll. Hey, my gall bladder may follow the way of the appendix and crap out.

It is very cool that we have so many choices. In fact, I really dig being the King of Maybe because I hate being tied down. I always want to have the Exit in view anywhere. It is part of my personality. I fear being trapped in no-win situations and scenarios. I am not one to stick it out for the team. I have been the martyr in the past and it is a role I no longer want to assume. I take the risk of having my "Maybe" being turned into a "No" by others and that is only fair. If I am going to play it this way, I have to accept someone else ending my game.   

In the spiritual realm, the decisions are black and white. Many people put a decision about Jesus into the "Maybe" option. There are seekers who are searching and are actively in process to discover if Jesus is really "The WAY, The TRUTH, and the LIFE." There are others who hold onto "Maybe" as a decision, as if "Maybe" covers all bets...black, red, and green on the Roulette board of eternity. Not so. All bets like that lose because an infinite God cannot be covered.     


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream