Light and Momentary


2 Cor. 4:17

For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;

The Apostle Paul had a rough life post-conversion to Jesus. He went from being well on his way to the apex of Judaism to the dung pile. As Barnes writes, "The trials which Paul endured, to many persons would have seemed to be anything else but light. They consisted of want, and danger, and contempt, and stoning, and toil, and weariness, and the scorn of the world, and constant exposure to death by land or by sea." That Paul is treated so poorly by skeptics is a disgrace. Yet, Paul embraced that disgrace in order to bring grace to those deperately in need of it. Such a life is a testimony of the goodness of God.

When I went to the school nurse a little over a week ago and then to the doctor, I put them somewhat at a disadvantage diagnostically. You see I have a very high tolerance for pain. That I was walking and talking with a perforated appendix caused them to under-assess how at-risk medically I was. Both commented post-surgery about my incredibly high pain tolerance. It was only when they touched my gut that I recoiled in spasms of pain. In just talking to me, it seemed like something was up. Perhaps even appendicitis, but not a ruptured appendix. I had been skirting sickness for a couple of weeks before that fateful Wednesday where I finally cried "Uncle" and sought assistance.

I think it retrospect that my appendix was troubled for weeks and it just didn't trigger any alarms. I don't know what I can do to become more aware of distress. The way I just deal with it is to bite the bullet and move on, teeth marks in the musket ball and all. There is a peculiar balance here. Some people whine too much about their calamities as if their troubles are particularly severe when they are not. Babies, that is what they are. Others, like me, need to be more aware of how afflictions are affecting me. To be a flat-liner hardly is a healthy response either.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream