The Soul of a Donut



Today, I calculated the cost differential between bagels and donuts. Donuts cost about half of what bagels do and are loaded with sugar. Sold! Donuts it is. Since I live in the land of Goy (that is non-Jew I think) good bagels are costly here. I spent close to 50 dollars on three dozen bagels on Friday for a faculty breakfast. There were spreads too but still. Costly.

My church was having lunch today. It is great. None of us has an idea about what others are bringing. No pre-planning. Oh, how I have left that lands of Presbyterianism, not theologically but practically. It always works out. People bring cool foods. Today I had a homemade pumpkin cheesecake with chocolate frosting. Crazy good.

So, I swung to Dunkin' Donuts that appear to be taken over by Indian proprietors. One of the Hindi ladies reminded me that I could call ahead with my order. You see, I made a run on the Creme  donuts. Not Boston Creme. White Creme. Boston Creme is like Canadian Bacon. I had to go with two jellies to fill out the dozen. The Indian lady reminded me again that I could call ahead with my order. I told her I was not sure I was going with the donuts rather than bagels until 5 minute before.

Earlier in the week I had been burned in my hope for a Creme donut. It wound up being Lemon Meringue with powder coating. Gross. So, I wanted to make sure that I got the Creme. Figure the way to do it was to order them rather than probing the box afterwards. Shooting fish in a barrel type of deal. Can't miss. Pure Creme baby. I postulated to the brethren that although donuts are bad for the body, they are good for the soul. That got some support and laughs but then saw the above at the end. Stick a fork in it. Pierced the soul of the donut. It hurt because it was the real deal Creme. What lack of gratitude. Or good sense. PDD. Pre-diabetic donut. 

Not going to try and spiritualize this point by adding a Bible verse....oh yeah, I forgot that the Indian lady reminded me one last time before leaving that I could call ahead.  Hey, I thought, there are still plenty of Boston Creme and Lemon Meringue left.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream