Christmas Light

 

When I think of the Christmas season, I see a consumerist wave washing across America. I dive under it and watch it wreck those who try to ride it to shore. So odd that we celebrate the birth of Christ by spending so much on stuff. Jesus, the one who warned us that our lives don't consist in the abundance of our possessions. Counter-cultural Jesus.

Don't get me wrong. I love Christmas. I could care less that it is a holiday that is based on a Roman celebration. God redeems Pagan celebrations just like He redeems Pagans. But, the whole tit-for-tat gift-giving, (again) I could care less. A good gift is pretty cool, but most of the time a gift is something that I could have bought for myself without feeling obligated to another. Kids are a different story. Giving gifts, within measure, makes the holiday magic for them. Let kids have fun. They will be adults soon enough. But some parents spoil their children, not only diminishing the gifts, but themselves as gift-givers. The Gimmee spirit in children must be checked, otherwise it grows into a spirit of entitlement.

I wanted to partake in the celebration of Christmas by putting up some lights. I found the perfect lights. Less than $ 20, so light on the wallet, and light in terms of bright, and light in their simplicity. Reminds me that the Gospel is simple, that Christ came to save sinners.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream