Picking Up The Trash


Yesterday, I spent my Sunday morning--usually spent in church--picking up trash at a local Christian adoption agency's parking lot in the city of Lancaster. The church I have been attending has a monthly community service event in lieu of an actual church service. The parking lot wasn't quite as disgusting and dingy as the photo above. Mostly cigarette butts. No dead bodies, syringes, or used condoms. I did find an old AAA battery. That was about the most noteworthy item.

I typically avoid working on the Sabbath. I labor diligently on the other six days and need a day to recharge so I don't wind up drained like that battery. When I read the Bible cover to cover twice a few years back, I grasped the importance of the Sabbath rest. There was even a dude in the Old Testament who was stoned for picking up sticks on the Sabbath.

Taking Sundays completely off saved my sanity while working and going to school for my Ph.D. For ten years, Sundays were an oasis of rest in a parched and weary work week. Thus, it was with trepidation that I embraced this working on Sunday deal. However, I refused to paint a room inside the building and decided instead to enjoy the outdoors alone. Me and the cigarette butts.      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream