Lent: Off To Works I Go


I have decided to observe a Lenten fast from snacking between the meals of lunch and dinner. Typically, I come home and try to bribe the beast in the belly by eating a varied collection of foodstuffs. I am not discriminating. Anything goes...down the chute.

I am not trying to gain God's approval for this fast. I am already accepted and redeemed. I just need some of the fruits of  discipline. Or perhaps, vegetables would be a better outcome.

Hunger is really not justified because I have a gut reserve, like a gas tank, with plenty of fuel ready.

So, why am I hungry. Habit, loneliness, boredom? I have no clue. Yesterday I was at Books-A-Million at the former Borders in York--definitely down-scaled but I am glad a bookstore is back in that spot--and drank some coffee while flipping through a photo history of the Beatles. We had Parent/Teacher conferences at school last night and I typically don't drive back to Lancaster. So, get off campus for a spell. It is no fun to be at school from 7:15 am to 9:00 at night.

During the hour and half there at BAM, my stomach was growling. Then, it stopped after an intense period of pain. My stomach is like a spoiled child who cries until he gets what he wants. Well, last night I decided to not give in and instead rode it out with resolve. My stomach eventually stopped crying.

Being in a state of hunger is good spiritually  Jesus said, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled" in the Sermon on the Mount. I know I have probably said it in this blog before, but how can we know what this really means unless we are actually hungry for more than just a minute or two before gobbling down some crap laying around? We have to wait to be filled, and that waiting, increases appreciation and rightly centers our appetite.

May we hunger for that which truly satisfies our souls...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream