Card Carrying Librarian

Yesterday, Lina asked me to pick up a book for her at the local library because she was engaged in an almost all day affair of cleaning out her closet. She does all of her reservation of books online and then is notified when the books become available and picks them up. More typically I return books for her because she is out of town on a frequent basis. Not unusually, there is often a fine of some increment of a nickel because typically it is after the fact. I have to face the shame and the scowl of the librarian on duty because of my wife's delinquency. My wife has many exemplary qualities, returning library books on time is not necessarily one of them. I am overstating the problem for tale-spinning enhancement. Yet, it has happened more than once.


But, yesterday I was picking up a book. I sensed it wouldn't be as easy as going into a Turkey Hill (convenience store) and buying a gallon of milk. So, I called ahead of time to learn of the protocol. I was correct that it was not so cut-and-dry. I have worked in schools my whole life and know librarians well. I respect their rule orientation, many rules which have reason behind them. Some of the rules seem antiquated and no longer necessary.  


The librarian on duty on the phone said that I needed a letter from Lina stating that I was authorized to pick up books for her and that this note would only be temporary until she completed the official form. I also confirmed that she needed to put her library card number on the note and that I needed to bring my library card. Probably some provision of the Patriot Act for all I know.


So, my wife incredulously penned the note, commenting on what she perceived as overkill, and I went on my way. I entered the library and the librarian on duty confirmed that I was the guy who had just called. She then asked for my library card as well as Lina's, which I had not . Heck, it was starting to feel like a TSA airport checkpoint. Do you want me to remove my shoes? Although, I could see why the book in question, Thomas Harding's Far From The Madding Crowd, aroused suspicion. Quite the twisted tale, stories with a woman named Bathsheba in them as the major character tend to get messy.


On the counsel of the librarian, who said that Lina needed to replace her lost card, I obtained a new library card for Lina for a buck, which I found out later removed her from all of her wait lists because the new card had a new number. It essentially turned into a mess that pitted a traditional librarian--rule and process-bound--against my wife, a woman who has modern sensibilities and asks why an actual card is required, thinking that the number should be enough with an I.D. or a note and my I.D.. And maybe it generally was and is, unless I am in her role by proxy. Poor me, caught in the middle as a well-meaning oaf.  


This situation kind of aptly illustrated the conflict between rules and reason. Some are all too willing to jettison rules, not really considering why they came about in the first place. Others hold onto rules like a worn-out shoe that no longer fits. The rule for rules sake seems to be the only reason and that is not reasonable. 


Jesus was the master of breaking rules that were anti-human and not based on reason. Yet, he affirmed the Law. Really not sure how He would have handled this library book deal, though. 
                

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream